No one likes to think about death. But you can protect those you love by planning what happens to your assets when you die. Estate planning can also help you prepare for retirement, set your children up for the future or enable you to donate to your charity of choice.

The most common thing people need our help with is writing their will. There are many things to consider when documenting who will inherit your assets and personal belongings, particularly if you have children, step-children or complex families. Some people choose to set up trusts to manage how their wealth is distributed, while others have just a few beneficiaries. If you die without a will, the people you want to inherit your assets may receive nothing or it may result in a costly and emotional dispute.

A will isn’t the only document you need when planning your estate. A Power of Attorney can give someone else the ability to look after your estate or manage a specific transaction if you’re unwell, in an accident or travelling overseas. If you do fall ill or are in an accident, an Advance Healthcare Directive can also be useful. It outlines how you want to be cared for and the medical treatment you do and don’t want. You can also appoint a Medical Treatment Decision Maker if you’re not able to communicate your decisions yourself.

If you’re the executor of a will, there are many legal issues you need to navigate. Depending on the size of the estate you may need a Grant of Probate. If anyone contests the will you may even need to go to court.

To make sure your wealth is distributed the way you want, speak to our experienced estate planning lawyers. They will listen to your concerns and give you advice with care and sensitivity. They can even prepare the paperwork so you can have peace of mind that your loved ones will be taken care of.


Planning your estate

Creating a succession plan

Making your will

Creating a Power of Attorney

Contesting a will

Managing a deceased estate

Applying for a Grant of Probate

Applying for Letters of Administration

Appointing a Medical Treatment Decision Maker

Creating an Advance Healthcare Directive

Setting up a self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF)

Setting up a testamentary or philanthropic trust

Giving money to charity

  • Address

    Unit 14/10 Lakewood Boulevard, Carrum Downs, Vic. 3201